Apples and blackberries are both in season at the moment, and they make the perfect pairing in this quintessential British dessert.
For the crumble topping:
- 120g plain flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 60g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
For the filling:
- 300g apples, cored, peeled and cut into chunks
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30g demerara sugar
- 115g blackberries
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Start by preheating your oven to 190°c / 170°c Fan / Gas Mark 5. Combine the flour and caster sugar in a large bowl, then rub in the butter using your fingertips until you have a light, sandy texture.
- Sprinkle the mixture over a baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes until lightly coloured.
- Whilst your crumble topping is cooking, melt the demarara sugar and the butter together in a saucepan and cook for around 3 minutes until you have a light caramel.
- Tip in the apples and cook for 3 minutes, then add the blackberries and cinnamon, and cook for a further 3 minutes. Cover, remove from the heat, and leave to stand.
- Spoon the filling into an oven-proof dish, top with the crumble and bake for 10 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Lead image: Wiktory via Getty images.