These asparagus and ham puffs wrapped in cream-cheesed puff pastry make the perfect lunchtime snack, or can be served with a side salad for a lighter dinner.
- 375g block of puff pastry
- 150g cream cheese
- 4 slices of smoked ham
- 400g asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 egg
- Sesame and poppy seeds for sprinkling
- Start by preheating your oven to 200°C / 180°C / Gas Mark 6, then line a baking tray with some parchment. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface until it measures around 30cm x 30cm, then cut into 4 squares.
- Spread a quarter of the cream cheese onto each square, leaving about 1cm of space around the edges. Take a slice of ham, and wrap around 4 or 5 asparagus spears, then lay this bundle on top the cream cheese. Season, then brush the edges with a little beaten egg.
- Loosely wrap the edges of the square so that they meet over the asparagus bundle, leaving the tops and bottoms of the asparagus exposed. Brush the top of the pastry with some more egg, sprinkle with the seeds, then place on the baking tray. Repeat with the three remaining squares.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is puffed up and golden, and the asparagus is tender.
Lead image: zi3000 via Getty images.