The breakfast of champions. This decadent breakfast bagel is perfect to get your day started on the right track!
- 1 large egg
- 1 or 2 rashers of bacon
- 1 bagel bun
- Several slices of mature cheddar cheese
- Dash of vinegar
- Butter, for spreading
- Slice your bagel in half, and toast for two minutes under the grill, or until lightly toasted. Remove from the grill and butter both halves.
- Grill the bacon. Use one or two slices, depending on how decadent you want to make your breakfast sandwich. Cook until the bacon is crisp, remembering to turn halfway through cooking. Once cooked, remove from the grill and add to the bottom half of your buttered bagel bun.
- Poach the egg. To have a perfectly poached egg, only fill the saucepan with roughly 4 inches of water, and a dash of vinegar. Put this on a medium heat, so that the water is hot and lightly simmering, but not boiling. Crack the egg into a cup or mug, and try to bring it as close to the water as you can before you tip it into the saucepan, preferably in one fluid movement if you can. Don’t swirl the water with a wooden spoon – instead leave the egg to poach in the gently simmering water. Cook for around 2 minutes for a soft egg, 4 minutes for a hard poached egg. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon, and place on top of the bacon.
- Top the egg with the sliced cheese – you can use as much or as little of this as you want – and then top the sandwich with the lid of the buttered bagel bun. Serve immediately.
Chef’s tip: It tastes just as great if you use a breakfast muffin instead of a bagel!
Lead image: bhofack2 via Getty Images.