Bring on the beets! These vegetarian burgers will add some colour to your plate, and are delicious served alongside sweet potato fries or a simple side salad.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 raw beetroots, peeled and grated
- 1 courgette, grated
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 100g porridge oats
- 400g tinned chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 large egg, yolk only
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Burger buns of your choice – we recommend seeded or brioche
- 230g hummus
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Salad leaves
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, and fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the grated vegetables and cook, stirring often, for a further 5 minutes until they have softened also. Drain away any excess liquid.
- Place the oats, drained chickpeas, tahini and egg yolk into a food processor and pulse to combine. Tip this mixture out into a bowl, and stir in the grated vegetables along with the spring onions and coriander, then season generously.
- Divide the mixture into six equal parts and shape into burgers. Place on a baking sheet, cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When you’re ready to cook them, heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and cook the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side until hot through.
- Spread the hummus on either side of the buns, and pop your burgers on, followed by the avocado and salad leaves. Place the top half on and dig in!
Lead image: vaaseenaa via Getty images.