This boozy pasta dish might sound rich (and it is) but it’s actually surprisingly delicate at the same time. The red wine really gives it some depth and, as long as you have the time, the pork will be super tender.
Any large saucepan will do, but for best results we’d suggest going for a heavy based cast iron pan. Serve with any type of pasta for a meal all the family will love!
- 45ml olive oil
- 1 kg pork shoulder, trimmed of all visible fat and cut into cubes
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 250ml red wine
- 250ml beef stock
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy based pan over a medium heat and brown the meat on all sides. Remove from the heat and place to one side.
- Gently cook the onion for around 5 minutes until soft, then add in the garlic, paprika and cumin and give it a good mix. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes and tomato puree to the pan and give everything a good stir. Return the meat to the pan, pour over the red wine and bring everything to a simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, bring back to a simmer. Bring the heat to it’s lowest setting, and let everything cook gently for around 90 minutes, adding a little water during cooking if necessary.
- Check for seasoning, and serve with your choice of pasta.
Lead image: zkruger via Getty images.