The delicious mix of butternut squash, pancetta and spinach makes a healthy (and easy) weeknight dinner.
- 80g pancetta
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 750g butternut squash, deseeded and cut into cubes
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g spaghetti
- 100g spinach, chopped
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and throw in the pancetta. Cook for about 8 minutes until crisp, then remove using a slotted spoon.
- Add the oil to the fat already in the pan, then tip in the squash, rosemary, chilli and garlic. Cover and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender. Season well, then gently crush the squash with the back of a wooden spoon.
- 15 minutes before the squash is cooked, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and pop in the spaghetti. Drain and reserve a cup of the pasta water.
- Add this water to the squash a couple of minutes before removing from the pan and let it bubble up for a few minutes. Stir in the spinach, then divide between bowls. Sprinkle over the pancetta and serve with a good grating of parmesan and some cracked black pepper.
Lead image: Mizina via Getty images.