A sure fire hit at any barbecue, these chicken burgers are grilled in cajun spices, studded with slices of avocado and topped with bacon and cheese. Truly sensational!
In you’re a bit of a fire-eater, you can make these even spicier by adding a teaspoon of Sriracha to the mayonnaise.
For the burgers:
- 4 chicken breast fillets, skinless
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 rashers of smoked bacon
- 2 avocados
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 4 thin slices of mature cheddar
- 4 small handfuls of baby spinach
- Mayonnaise, optional
For the Cajun seasoning:
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Start by mixing the Cajun seasoning spices together with some black pepper and salt, then set aside in a large dish.
- Put your grill on high. Lay the chicken breasts on a board and cover with a layer of cling film. Using a rolling pin, lightly bash them to flatten them out to a depth of about 3cm. Remove the cling film and drizzle half the olive oil over the top, then toss them in the dish of Cajun seasoning.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and sizzle the chicken for about 5 minutes on each side until firm. Push them to one side of the pan, and fry the bacon for a few minutes until cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, stone and peel the avocados, then slice horizontally. Toast the tops of the buns (cut sides only) under the grill, add the cheese, and grill again until it has melted.
- Assemble the burgers by spreading the buns with mayonnaise. Top the bottom half of the bun with spinach, then a rasher of bacon. slice the chicken about half way down in intervals, and add the avocado into these slices. Top with the cheesy bun, press down lightly and serve!
Lead image: martinturzak via Getty images.