Cherries are fully in season now, and what better way to celebrate these little ruby beauties than to turn them into some delicious jam. Perfect to give away as gifts, or simply to store and enjoy yourself!
This jam will store for up to six months unopened, or up to three months opened and kept refrigerated. To sterilise your jars, simply run them through the dishwasher and allow them to dry in there.
- 2kg cherries, pitted
- 1.2kg jam sugar (with added pectin)
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Place two saucers in the freezer – these will be used for testing if the jam is ready later on.
- Begin by roughly chopping half of the cherries, and slicing the other half vertically.
- Tip the cherries into a large, heavy based saucepan along with the sugar and lemon juice.
- Simmer, uncovered, over a medium heat for 35 minutes, stirring frequently until glossy and thick.
- Remove from the heat and test if it’s ready by spooning a little of the jam onto one of the chilled saucers. Leave it for one minute, then lightly press your fingertip into the jam – if it starts to wrinkle, it’s ready. If it slides away, boil for another 10 minutes and then test again on the second saucer.
- Spoon the jam into sterilised jars and seal.
Lead image: AndreyCherkasov via Getty images.