Perfect for DIY takeaway night in, this family favourite is delicious served alongside your best love Indian side dishes, like this Palak Paneer.
- 300g basmati rice
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 4 tbsp curry paste
- 85g raisins
- 850ml chicken stock
- 30g coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds, toasted
- Begin by soaking the rice in warm water, then transfer to a sieve and run cold water over until it runs clear.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and fry the onion along with the bay leaf, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the turmeric, then add the chicken breasts and curry paste. Cook everything together for around 5 minutes, then leave on a gentle heat.
- Stir the washed rice into the pan, then tip in the raisins followed by the chicken stock. Place a lid on top of the pan and bring everything to a boil, then bring the heat way down and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and, with the lid still on, leave to sit for 10 minutes. Stir through the coriander and top with the toasted almonds.
Lead image: ALLEKO via Getty images.