Whether you’ve just returned from holiday, are yet to go, or are ‘staycationing’, this Cajun inspired recipe with Spanish chorizo and sweet peppers is guaranteed to bring a touch of summer into your kitchen.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 75g chorizo, sliced
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 250g long grain rice (weight when dry)
- 400g canned plum tomatoes
- 350ml chicken stock
- Handful of chopped coriander, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, lidded frying pan and add in the chicken. Fry for around 8 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set to one side. Add the onion to the pan and cook until soft, then add in the pepper and the garlic along with the courgette, chorizo and Cajun seasoning. Stir everything together and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, then tip in the rice, tomatoes and chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Serve in bowls, scattered with the chopped coriander
Lead image: martinturzak via Getty images.