The kids are off school, and undoubtedly hungry! Keeping it healthier by oven baking instead of frying, but losing none of that crispy crunch, these ‘posh chicken nuggets’ are a guaranteed winner with children and adults alike.
For the nuggets
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into fingers or chunks
- 25g fresh breadcrumbs
- 25g Weetabix, lightly crushed
For the BBQ sauce
- 25g light muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Heat your oven to 220°C / 200°C Fan / Gas Mark 7. Start with making the BBQ sauce, by adding all the ingredients into a pan along with 6 tbsp of water. Bring to a gently bubble, then lower the heat and reduce for 5 minutes then set to one side.
- Pop the mayonnaise in a bowl with the chicken and stir well to coat. Mix the breadcrumbs and the Weetabix together, tip out onto a plate, then individually coat the chicken pieces in the mix.
- Place them on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes until cooked through, but still juicy. Serve with the BBQ sauce.
Lead image: rez-art via Getty images.