If you’re looking for a meat-free, homemade dish to try, this chickpea curry will definitely fit the bill. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also 100% vegan!
For the paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp fresh or dried chilli
- 9 garlic cloves
- 5cm fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garam masala
For the curry
- 2 x 400g canned chickpeas, drained
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100g creamed coconut
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 100g spinach
- Begin by making the paste. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add the onion and chilli, and cook over a low heat for around 8 minutes until cooked through.
- In a food processor combine the garlic cloves, ginger, remaining oil, ground coriander, ground cumin, garam masala, tomato puree and the fried onions and chilli. Blend to a smooth paste, adding some water in if needed.
- Tip the paste out into a saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking.
- Add in the drained chickpeas and the chopped tomatoes, and simmer for around 5 minutes until reduced.
- Add the creamed coconut, along with a little water, and cook for 5 more minutes, then pop in the chopped coriander and spinach and allow to wilt down.
- Serve with cooked rice and naan bread.
Lead image: OksanaKiian via Getty images.