Equally ideal for sharing of for solo dining, these nachos are a great accompaniment to any Friday night in front of a good movie.
For an even spicier kick, try using chilli oil instead of regular olive oil when cooking the beef.
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 500g beef mince
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 200g tortilla chips
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- Grated cheddar cheese, amount to suit your personal preference
- Sour cream and coriander to serve, optional
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / Gas Mark 4. In a saucepan, heat 2 tsp of olive oil and add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Fry for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Increase the heat and add the beef, stirring until browned. Add the tomato puree and spices, and allow everything to get acquainted for a minute or two before tipping in the chopped tomatoes along with a splash of water.
- Bring the pan to a simmer, then lower the heat and allow to cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lay your tortilla chips on a baking tray and pop these in the oven 10 minutes before the beef mixture is done cooking.
- In a large bowl or plate, layer the chips with the chilli beef and cheese, and top with the sour cream, chillies and coriander.
Lead image: Mizina via Getty images.