On a cold day (or warm, we’re not fussy when it comes to dessert!) there isn’t much better than a lovely, gooey, crumbly, sugary-sweet apple crumble. The kids will enjoy getting involved with this one too!
For the filling:
- 575g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm slices
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the crumble:
- 175g plain flour
- 110g golden caster sugar
- 110g butter, fridge cold
- Preheat your oven to 190°C / 170°C Fan / Gas Mark 5. Toss the apples with the sugar and cinnamon, then put in a baking dish, flattening down to prevent the crumble from falling through.
- Put the flour and sugar in a bowl with a good pinch of salt, then slice the butter and rub it all together using your fingertips. It should resemble breadcrumbs when you’re done!
- Pour the mix over the apples and spread evenly, gently pressing it down so that the crumble holds together.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the top is golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving with ice cream, custard or both!
Lead image: badmanproduction via Getty images.