Sumptuously dark and decadent, this mousse is the perfect sophisticated dessert for any dinner party, or simply just for well-earned end of the week treat.
- 85g dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, whites only
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 50g Greek yoghurt
- Handful of nuts, to decorate
- Finely chop the chocolate and place it in a bowl that will fit over a pan of gently simmering water. Add the cocoa, coffee and vanilla along with 2 tbsp of water, then place the bowl gently over the pan of simmering water, stirring frequently until melted, then remove from the heat.
- Add 2 tbsp of boiling water to the melted chocolate to help it thin down, and set to one side.
- Whisk the egg whites to fairly soft peaks, then whisk in the sugar until you have a thick, glossy mixture.
- Beat the yoghurt into the melted chocolate, then fold about one-third of the egg whites into the chocolate mix using a metal spoon. Once incorporated, gently mix in the remaining egg whites, taking care not to over mix.
- Spoon into 4 small ramekins or tumblers and chill in the fridge for at least two hours, but preferably over night.
- When the time comes to serve, chop the nuts and scatter over the top.
Lead image: Mizina via Getty images.