Dark chocolate and sumptuous ginger combine to create the perfect tea time treat.
- 225g plain flour
- 220ml milk
- 115g dark brown sugar
- 85g butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for greasing
- 55g cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 3 pieces stem ginger in syrup, finely chopped, play 2 tbsp syrup from the jar
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 200℃/180℃ fan/gas mark 6. Grease a 12 hole muffin tray with the extra butter. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the plain flour, cocoa powder, ground ginger, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the finely chopped stem ginger and the sugar.
- Beat together the eggs in a large jug, then beat in the milk, ginger syrup, and melted butter. Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients, and pour in the liquid ingredients; mix gently together until combined, but be careful not to overmix.
- Spoon the muffin mixture into the prepared muffin tin and cook for 20 minutes of until the muffins are well risen and firm to the touch. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with your favourite hot drink for a scrumptious afternoon treat!
Lead image: Ridofranz via Getty Images.