If you’re feeling a little fragile following any New Year festivities, this classic recipe will help to set you on the right path for the rest of the day!
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 2 English muffins
- 4 slices of thick cut ham
For the Hollandaise sauce
- 125g butter
- 2 eggs, yolks only
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Cayenne pepper
- Begin by making the Hollandaise sauce. Take a saucepan and melt the butter over a low heat. Set to one side.
- Place the egg yolks, vinegar and a pinch of salt in a small bowl and place over a pan of hot water. Whisk continually until you have a pale, thick sauce (usually around 3-5 minutes).
- Remove the bowl from the heat and slowly whisk in the melted butter. Season with a squeeze of lemon juice and little cayenne pepper, then pop to one side whilst you assemble your breakfast.
- Bring a deep saucepan or wok full of water to a boil, then pour in the white wine vinegar. Break each egg into it’s own separate ramekin dish, and split and toast the muffins.
- Using a spoon, swirl the water to form a vortex and gently lower in one egg. This will help the egg to form into a ball and leave you with no stringy white pieces. Cook for around 2-3 minutes, then remove using a slotted spoon.
- Repeat with the other eggs, one at a time. Spread some of the hollandaise sauce on each muffin, then lay a slice of ham and top with an egg. Spoon over some more sauce and serve immediately.
Lead image: PeteerS via Getty images.