Nothing says ‘summer’ like the classic combination of strawberries and cream. Add in some crushed meringue and you’ve got yourself a treat that will be a smash hit with family and friends alike.
For an extra touch of decadence, try grating some dark chocolate over the top!
- 120g caster sugar
- 500g strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 450ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Heat your oven to 120°c / 100°c Fan / Gas Mark 1. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl using an electric whisk or stand mixer until they reach stiff peaks, then add the sugar in a spoonful at time whilst continuously whisking.
- Spoon dollops of mixture onto the baking parchment, and cook on the bottom shelf of the oven for 1hr to 1hr 15mins, until the meringues are hard and can be removed from the paper cleanly and easily. Set the meringues to one side to cool.
- Blitz 1/3 the strawberries in a food processor to make a sauce.
- In a large bowl, mix together the icing sugar with the cream until it just holds it shape.
- Roughly crush 3/4 of the meringues and tip them into the chopped strawberries and stir, then swirl the strawberry sauce through. Dollop into bowls then crush the remaining meringues and sprinkle the pieces over the top.
Lead image: lily_rochha via Getty images.