There’s nothing better to warm you up on a cold night than a big, comforting bowl of soup and this recipe is guaranteed to do the job!
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml dry white wine
- 1.3L beef stock
- 8 slices of French bread
- 140g gruyere cheese, finely grated
- Take a large saucepan and melt the butter along with the olive oil. Throw in the onions and fry with the lid on for 10 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Sprinkle over the sugar, stir well and allow to cook for a further 20 minutes. Stir frequently until your onions are caramelised and golden.
- Add in the garlic, and cook everything together for a further 5 minutes, then tip in the flour and stir well.
- Slightly increase the heat, and gradually add in the wine, stirring well as you do. Once the wine is incorporated, add the beef stock and cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn on your grill and toast the French bread, adding the cheese on top halfway through so it becomes melted. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the giant, cheesy croutons and serve!
Lead image: Lisovskaya via Getty images.