Perfect for Boxing Day dinner, this ham uses only five ingredients and is super simple to cook, meaning you can spend more time with family and less time in the kitchen!
- 2kg boneless gammon joint
- 2.5L ginger ale
- 2 tsp allspice berries, whole
- 1 tsp allspice berries, crushed
- 300g light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp finely grated ginger
- Pop the gammon in a large pan and cover with 2 litres of the ginger ale, then top up with water until the joint is fully covered. Add the whole allspice berries and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer gently, covered, for 2.5 hours, occasionally topping up with water.
- Drain the ham and set to one side until it is cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, make the glaze by mixing the remaining ginger ale with the sugar, grated ginger and crushed allspice in a pan. Simmer, uncovered, for around 20 minutes until you have a syrupy mixture.
- Now, heat your oven to 190°C / 170°C Fan / Gas Mark 5. Remove the top layer of skin from the ham, leaving a layer of fat, and score across the top in a criss-cross pattern. Pop the ham in a foil-lined roasting tin and brush over half the glaze.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then brush over the remaining glaze. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C / 180°C Fan / Gas Mark 6. and roast for a further 15-20 minutes. Leaving to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Lead image: wmaster890 via Getty images.