Gingerbread is one of those quintessential Christmas foods, and these festive biscuits are perfect for adding to a homemade gift hamper, decorating your tree with or simply as a go-to stash of sweet treats.
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g golden syrup
- 2 egg yolks
- 250g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Begin by heating your oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / Gas Mark 4. Pop the butter and caster sugar together in a bowl, and beat until creamy.
- Stir in the bicarbonate of soda, golden syrup and egg yolks, then sift in the flour, cinnamon and ginger. Mix everything together until you have a biscuit dough.
- Divide into two balls and knead until everything comes together. Cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out one ball at time to about the thickness of a £1 coin, then begin stamping out festive shapes with Christmas cookie cutters. Re-roll any trimmings, bring them back together and stamp out more shapes.
- Place the biscuits onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown and slightly risen. Allow to cool on a wire rack before decorating however you see fit.
Lead image: haveseen via Getty images.