Total time 2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 skinless, bone in chicken thighs
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into 1.5cm/5/8in pieces
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1.5cm/5/8in pieces
- 1 leek, thickly sliced
- 400g/14oz potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5cm/5/8in pieces
- 1 tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tsp finely grated garlic
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 350ml/12fl oz hot chicken stock
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tbsp finely grated zest from an unwaxed lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1.Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Season the chicken and fry for 6–8 minutes until browned all over. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a Cooks Professional 6.5L Slow Cooker.
2.Roughly mash half of the beans with a potato masher, add to the chicken and stir well.
3.Add the onion, parsnip, celery, carrots, leek and potatoes to the frying pan and stir-fry over a high heat for 6–8 minutes, until lightly coloured all over. Add the ginger, mustard and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute more, then spoon the vegetable mixture, with the remaining beans, over the chicken in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
4.Whisk the tomato purée into the stock and pour into the slow cooker with the tarragon and lemon zest, cover with the lid and cook on high for 3–3½ hours until the chicken is tender. To serve, garnish with chopped tarragon.