Sunshine in cake form. Packed full of refreshingly sweet flavour and with the added decadent twist of clotted cream, this is ideal for any bake sale or family picnic.
To check your cake is cooked all the way through, insert a wooden skewer into the centre. If it comes out clean, you’re good to go! If not, leave it a little longer and check again.
For the cake:
- 2 large eggs
- 225g caster sugar
- 227g pot of clotted cream
- 1 lemon
- 200g self-raising flour
For the syrup and topping:
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 100g granulated sugar
- 150g icing sugar
- Start by preheating your oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / Gas Mark 4. Combine the eggs and sugar, and whisk together until you have a pale, smooth mixture.
- Add a pinch of salt into the clotted cream, and stir until smooth. Then, gently stir into the egg and sugar mixture along with the zest of 1 lemon.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour, then spoon the mixture into a 20cm round cake tin. Leave to bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the cake is golden and firm.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes in it’s tin, before transferring to a wire rack. Once completely cool, begin making the syrup by mixing together the juice of the lemon and lime with the granulated sugar. Prick your cake all over with a cocktail stick, and pour the syrup over the top.
- Mix together your icing sugar with a little lemon juice to make a glacé icing, and decorate the cake by drizzling this over the top. Finish by adding a sprinkling of lemon zest.
Lead image: manyakotic via Getty images.