A zingy, summer time dessert. This lemon posset is also a low-effort way to impress your dinner guests!
For the lemon posset
- 600ml double cream
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 3 lemons, zest only
- 75ml lemon juice
For the shortbread
- 140g cold butter, diced
- 140g plain flour
- 85g golden caster sugar
- 50g ground rice (or plain flour if you’re unable to source ground rice)
- 85g flaked almonds
- Make the posset first. Pour the cream into a large saucepan along with the sugar and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has melted. Bring to a simmer and allow to bubble for 1 minute. Turn the heat off, then stir in the lemon zest and juice. Divide the mixture between pots, glasses or bowls and allow to come to room temperature before carefully covering and chilling in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- To make the shortbread, heat your oven to 160°C / 140°C Fan / Gas Mark 3. Whizz the butter and flour together in a food processor until no lumps of butter remain. Tip into a bowl, then stir in the sugar, ground rice and almonds.
- Line the base of a square tin (roughly 22cm) with baking parchment, and tip the mixture in, pressing it down firmly. Try and get it as flat as you can. Dredge with sugar, and bake for 25-30 minutes until pale golden. Allow to cool in the tin.
- Cut the shortbread into shards, and serve alongside the lemon possets.
Lead image: Monkey Business Images via Getty images.