Skip the trip to your local Chinese takeaway this weekend and try making this delicious Peking duck at home. Serve with pancakes, spring onions and hoisin sauce for an authentic fakeaway experience!
- 1.8kg duck
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 150ml rice wine or dry sherry
- 20 Chinese pancakes (available in most supermarkets)
- Spring onions, sliced vertically
- Hoisin sauce
- Pour the lemon juice, honey, soy sauce and rice wine (or sherry if using instead) into a large pan, along with 1.2L of water, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, rinse the duck and blot it dry with some kitchen paper. Place over a rack on a roasting tin, then ladle over the syrup until the skin is covered on all sides. Transfer to the fridge, uncovered, to dry out overnight.
- Heat your oven to 240°C / 220°C Fan / Gas Mark 9. Add 150ml of water to the roasting tin then place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes, before reducing the oven temperature to 180°C / 160°C Fan / Gas Mark 4 and roasting for a further 70 minutes.
- Remove the duck from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving with the pancakes, spring onions and hoisin sauce.
Lead image: Lisovskaya via Getty images.