We’ve taken this popular autumn drink and given it a new lease of life in cake form! Pumpkin spiced sponge covered in an espresso butter cream makes this one delicious treat.
For the cake:
- 210g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 135g granulated sugar
- 150g light brown sugar
- 245g pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
For the buttercream:
- 3 eggs, whites only
- 200g granulated sugar
- 340g unsalted butter
- 1.5 tbsp instant espresso powder
- Begin by preheating your oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / Gas Mark 4, then grease and line 2 x 20cm cake tins.
- In a stand mixer, combine the flour, pumpkin spice, baking powder and salt.
- Take a separate bowl and beat together the sugars, melted butter, oil, pumpkin puree and eggs. Now gradually pour this mixture into the dry ingredients, using the cake mixing attachment to beat everything together slowly.
- Divide the batter between the cake tins and bake for around 35-40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, whisk together the egg whites and sugar until well combined. Place the bowl over a pan of hot water on the stove top and whisk continually until the mixture is no longer grainy.
- Remove the bowl from the pan, and continue to whisk until you have a stiff meringue. Slowly beat in the cubed butter and mix until smooth, then mix in the espresso powder.
- Sandwich the cakes together using a third of the buttercream, then use the rest to coat the rest of the cake. Decorate with fondant pumpkins, or any autumnal decorations that take your fancy.
Lead image: VeselovaElena via Getty images.