Gooey, fudgy, chocolately and indulgent. These salted caramel brownies are exactly what you need for that end of the week treat!
- 200g unsalted butter
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100g milk chocolate
- 397g can of caramel
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 130g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- Begin by heating your oven to 180°C / 160°C / Gas Mark 4, then grease a 23cm square baking tray and line with baking parchment.
- Take a saucepan and melt the butter over a gentle heat, then break in the chocolate. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the chocolate to melt in the residual heat.
- Mix together 175g of the caramel with the sea salt in a small bowl
- Pop the rest of the caramel in a large bowl and tip in the sugar and the eggs. Beat with an electric whisk until even, and then whisk in the chocolate and butter mixture.
- Grab another bowl and combine the flour and cocoa powder along with a pinch of salt. Sift this into the chocolate mixture and beat until smooth.
- Pour half of your brownie mixture into the lined tin and smooth off with a spatula. Now spoon half of the salted caramel on top in 5 thick, evenly spaced stripes.
- Pour the rest of the brownie batter over the top and smooth again, then top with the rest of the caramel, repeating the stripes. Drag a skewer through the top layer of salted caramel to make a pattern on top.
- Scatter a little more sea salt over the top, then bake for around 25-30 minutes until risen with a firm crust on top. Allow to cool completely, then cut into squares and dig in!
Lead image: La_vanda via Getty images.