A must-have dish for seafood lovers, our hearty seafood chowder is the perfect thing to fill you up on any day of the week.
- 320g pack fish pie mix (haddock, smoked haddock, salmon)
- 250g pack cooked mixed shellfish
- 100g streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 600ml fish stock
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 225g potatoes, peeled and halved
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch mace
- 300ml milk
- 4 tbsp
- Small bunch parsley, chopped
- Crusty bread, to serve
- In a large Cooks Professional saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and onion; fry for a between 8-10 minutes or until the bacon is cooked, and the onions are soft. Stir in the flour and book for another 2 minutes.
- Add the fish stock and bring the chowder to a gentle simmer. Add the potatoes and cover. Simmer for a further 10-12 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked. Stir in the cayenne pepper, mace, and seasoning, then add the milk.
- Add the fish pie mix to the saucepan and simmer for roughly 4 minutes. Next add the cream and the shellfish mix; simmer for a further minute. Check the seasoning and add more if necessary, before removing from the heat. Sprinkle the chopped parsley over the chowder, and serve in bowls with the crusty bread.
Lead image: Yummy pic via Getty Images.