If you’re planning on firing up the barbie this weekend, then this recipe for spare ribs will be a guaranteed hit with your guests.
The ribs can be kept uncooked in their marinade for up to three days, if tightly covered. They can also be kept frozen for several months.
- 2kg pork spare ribs
- 1 bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 6 tbsp dark rum
- 6 tbsp demerara sugar
- 6 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 6 tbsp clear honey
- 6 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- Extra spring onions to garnish, chopped
- Tip the ribs into a large bowl and throw in the spring onions, chilli and garlic. Now spoon over all of the remaining ingredients, and season with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, turn the ribs over and over until they are well coated in the marinade.
- Cook the ribs over a moderate heat using a griddle pan (or chuck them on a ‘white hot’ barbecue!) and cook for 25-30 minutes depending on their size, turning them frequently and brushing them with the sauce.
- Grab a saucepan, and add any left over bbq sauce you might have and bring it to a gentle boil, then pour over the ribs just before serving. Garnish with the extra spring onions.