A favourite for our American cousins, these snickerdoodles are the perfect sweet treat to have with a cuppa.
- 250g unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 345g plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
For the cinnamon sugar
- 25g sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4.
- Use your Cooks Professional stand mixer to cream together the butter and the caster sugar for roughly 4-5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl to get all of the mixture well combined. Add the eggs and the vanilla extract, and mix for a further few minutes.
- Add the cream of tartar, baking powder, salt, and flour. Mix until well combined. Wrap the dough and leave it in the fridge for roughly 20-30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the smaller amount of sugar with the cinnamon to create the cinnamon sugar. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Remove the snickerdoodle dough from the fridge, and roll into small balls until they’re all round and smooth. Drop the snickerdoodle balls into the cinnamon sugar, ensuring they’re well covered.
- Place the well-covered snickerdoodle balls on the prepared baking tray. For a flatter biscuit, gently press down in the centre of each ball before placing the tray in the oven. This will help to prevent them from puffing up in the middle.
- Cook for roughly 9-11 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly on the baking tray before putting them on a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with your favourite beverage and enjoy!
Lead image: ALLEKO via Getty images.