Looking for a show-stopping dessert? Filled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. this pavlova cake is guaranteed to put the wow-factor into your next dinner party!
- 9 eggs, whites only
- 600g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 400ml double cream
- 75g icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g strawberries
- Begin by heating your oven to 120°C / 100°C Fan / Gas Mark 1/2. Take three sheets of baking parchment and draw circle on each; one 20cm, one 16cm and one 12cm in circumference. Put the baking paper on baking sheets, with the penned-on side down.
- Pop your egg whites in a stand mixer and whisk until stiff peaks being to form. Slowly and gradually add in the sugar, continually whisking, until you have stiff, glossy peaks. Then whisk in the cornflour and vinegar.
- Spoon the mixture onto the baking parchment, filling each circle, and smooth the top over but leave the edges rough. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 100°C / 80°C / Gas Mark 1/4, and continue to bake for a further 90 minutes. Allow to cool in the oven, then remove from the parchment.
- Whip the cream together with the icing sugar and vanilla extract, then fold in the strawberries (reserving a few for decoration). Assemble by laying the largest meringue on a cake stand, then top with the cream and strawberry mix. Place the middle sized meringue on top, and repeat the layering process with the smallest sized meringue. Top with cream and the reserved strawberries.
Lead image: viennetta via Getty images.