Made with your choice of cherries, redcurrants or blueberries, this rich and creamy summer berry brulée is the perfect decadent treat for any alfresco dining party.
- 50g pudding rice
- 140g cherries, redcurrants or blueberries
- 4 tbsp cassis liquer
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 568ml double cream
- 6 eggs, yolks only
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- An extra 85g golden caster sugar for the topping
- Cook the rice according to pack instructions, then drain and leave to cool. Divide your chosen fruit between 6 ramekin dishes, drizzle with the cassis and then st to one side.
- Remove the seeds from the vanilla pod, then throw into a pan with the empty pod and the cream. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and leave for 5 minutes. Remove the vanilla pod.
- Mix together the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl, then stir the vanilla cream. Return to the pan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Stir the cooked rice into the custard mixture, then ladle into the ramekins and refrigerate for six hours.
- When the time comes to serve, sprinkle the sugar over the top and caramelise using a blow torch, or by sliding under a very hot grill. Let it cool and harden, then serve.
Lead image: petrenkod via Getty images.