Fresh, sweet and gloriously indulgent. These little tarts contain four different kids of fruit, as well as being glazed with apricot jam – the perfect addition to any summer picnic.
- 565g ready-made sweet shortcrust pastry
- 400g strawberries
- 150g raspberries
- 150g blueberries
- 75g cherries
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- 3 medium eggs, yolks only
- 1.5 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1.5 tbsp cornflour
- 350ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 250g mascarpone
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 180°C Fan / Gas Mark 6. Begin by making the creme patissiere by whisking together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a heatproof bowl.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and add in the vanilla pod and seeds, then bring to a simmer. Immediately remove from the heat and strain through a sieve onto the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Return the mixture to the pan and set over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes, constantly whisking. Transfer to a bowl, press a sheet of clingfilm onto the surface and leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry and cut 8 circles, each around 17cm in circumference. Pop these into the individual holes of a loose bottomed flan case. Line with baking parchment and baking beans and bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans, return to the oven and bake for a further 5-7 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Once the creme patissiere has cooled completely, beat in the mascarpone then spoon or pipe the mixture into the pastry cases and top with the assortment of berries.
- Heat the jam in a small saucepan along with 2 tbsp of water. Pass through a sieve, then paint a glaze onto the tarts using a pastry brush. Transfer to the fridge, and allow to chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Lead image: GreenArtPhotography via Getty images.