A light and healthy meal that, despite the rain, will bring some zingy summer flavour to your kitchen and the accompanying noodle salad makes the perfect partner to this Japanese inspired dish.
For the skewers
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- Thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 300g sirloin steak, fat trimmed and cut into strips
For the salad
- 100g rice noodles
- 1/3 cucumber, cut into small cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled into ribbons
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 100g radishes, sliced
- Handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- Handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 25g cashew nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Pour the soy sauce, orange juice and honey into a saucepan along with the ginger, garlic and chilli flakes. Add 100ml of cold water, and bring to the boil. Allow to bubble away for around 5 minutes until you have a glossy, syrupy sauce. Remove from the heat, transfer to a dish and leave to cool.
- Thread the beef onto skewers (pre-soaked if using wooden), and place in the marinade, turning and brushing until well coated. Transfer to a plate, cover with cling film and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your salad. Cook the noodles according to packet instructions, then tip into a large bowl. Add the cucumbers, carrots, spring onions, radishes, coriander, mint, oil, lime zest and juice, then toss everything together.
- Place a griddle pan on a high heat, and grill the skewers for around 5 minutes on each side, brushing with marinade as you turn. Ensure that the chicken is fully cooked, then serve with your noodle salad.
Lead image: OksanaKiian via Getty images.