A delicious (and healthy) way to bring a bit of Mediterranean sunshine to your kitchen, these stuffed peppers are sure to be a hit with the whole family.
Don’t worry if some of the turkey mixture spills over the sides of the peppers when you’re stuffing them – this will go beautifully crisp in the oven!
- 2 red peppers
- 1.5 tbsps olive oil
- 240g lean turkey mince
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3-4 mushrooms, sliced
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Fresh oregano leaves, one handful
- 60g mozzarella, sliced
- Heat your oven to 190°C / 170°C Fan / Gas Mark 5. Halve the peppers length ways, then remove the seeds and core, but leave the stalks on. Drizzle some olive oil over the peppers and rub in, then season well. Place them on a baking tray and roast for 15 minutes.
- Whilst your peppers are cooking, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the turkey mince and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring to break up the chunks, then tip out onto a plate.
- Wipe your pan over with some kitchen paper, and then heat the remaining oil. Add the onion and garlic, and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Add the cumin and mushrooms, then cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Pop the mince back in the pan, then add the tinned tomatoes and tomato puree, before crumbling in the stock cube and cooking for 3-4 minutes. Finally add the oregano and season to taste.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and fill them with the mince mixture. Top with the cheese and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is golden.
- Remove your peppers from the oven, and serve alongside your favourite green veg or a simple side salad.
Lead image: OksanaKiian via Getty images.