Easier to make than you might expect, this crème brûlée consists of a rich, vanilla custard topped with an irresistible layer of harden caramel. Perfect for your next dinner party.
- 250ml double cream
- 75ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 4 eggs, yolks only
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by heating your oven to 140°C / 120°C fan / Gas Mark 1. Grab a saucepan and pour in the cream and milk, along with the vanilla pod, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and leave to stand and infuse for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and 3 tbsp of the sugar until pale and thick. Add in the vanilla extract, then pour in the cream mixture. Stir everything together well, then divide the mixture between two ramekin dishes.
- Place the ramekins in a bain-marie and bake for around 20 minutes, until just set. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Switch on your grill, then sprinkle the cold crème brûlée with a think layer of the remaining sugar. Slide under the grill caramelise, checking frequently until you have a golden topping. Leave to cool, and serve.
Image source: margouillatphotos via Getty images.