Plant powered, full of protein and cheap to make!
Unlike a lot of chickpea based veggie burger recipes, these really do hold their shape and are fabulous when paired with any bread, salad or sweet potato fries.
We’ve used purple carrots here, purely because of the ‘burger’ look they give, but any colour will do!
- 3 large purple carrots, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 400g tinned kidney beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Drain the kidney beans and give them a good rinse through a sieve. Pop them in a saucepan and cover with cold water, then bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and leave to simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Grab another saucepan and fry the onion, carrot, coriander and cumin in 1 tbsp of oil. Give it all a mix, then gently cook until soft.
- Once the kidney beans are soft and the carrot mix is cooked, drain the beans and mix everything together in one pan.
- Mix in the flour and, using a fork, mash everything together until you have a smooth consistency. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Flour a clean work surface and your hands, then split the mix into four equally sized balls.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan, then add in each ball and carefully flatten down to make a ‘burger’ shape.
- Cook for a few minutes on each side, just so you get a bit of browning on them.
- Once cooked, serve in a bun with salad and some sweet potato fries!
Lead image: Sarsmis via Getty images.