A cosy night in beckons with this recipe for vegetable lasagne. Super easy to make and positively oozing with two kinds of cheese!
For the lasagne:
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 courgette, cut into chunks
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 200ml cold water
- 10 dried lasagne sheets
For the cheese sauce:
- 75g plain flour
- 75g butter, cubed
- 750ml milk
- 125g mature cheddar, grated
- 75g mozzarella, grated
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 180°C Fan / Gas Mark 6. Put the peppers, courgette and sweet potato in a large baking tray and drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Season and toss together.
- Roast for 30 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the chilli and garlic, and cook for a few seconds more. Stir in the tomatoes and oregano, then crumble in the stock cube. Pour the water over and bring everything to a gentle simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, and then set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce, put the flour, butter and milk in a large saucepan and place over a medium heat. Whisk constantly until the sauce is thickened and smooth. Stir in roughly two-thirds of the cheeses and season to taste.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and add to the pan with tomato sauce.
- Grab a square over proof dish, and spoon a third of the vegetable mixture over the base. Cover with a single layer of the lasagne sheets, top this with another third of the vegetable mix and add a second layer of lasagne.
- Pour over just under half of the cheese sauce and very gently top with the remaining vegetable mixture. Finish with a final layer of lasagne sheets and the remaining cheese sauce. Sprinkle the reserved grated cheese over the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the pasta has softened and the top is bubbling and golden brown.
Lead image: DariaZu via Getty images.