A classic in Wales, these Welsh cakes will be the perfect addition to your cuppa. Traditionally cooked on a griddle, you can make these Welsh cakes just as easily using your Cooks Professional cast iron frying pan.
- 225g self-raising flour
- 100g butter
- 50g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 50g sultanas or currants
- 1 egg, beaten with 3 tbsp milk
- Pinch salt
- Use your Cooks Professional stand mixer to combine the flour and salt, then rub in the butter. Add the sugar and currants or sultanas and mix well. Add the egg mixture and continue beating together until you have a stiff dough.
- Lightly flour a work surface, then roll out the Welsh cake dough until roughly 5mm thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out the Welsh cakes ready for cooking. Continue until all the dough is used, and are ready to be cooked.
- In your Cooks Professional cast iron frying pan, heat a little butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted and the frying pan is well greased, the Welsh cakes are ready to cook. Cook the cakes for roughly 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown.
- Sprinkle caster sugar over the cooked Welsh cakes and serve immediately with your favourite beverage.
Lead image: eag1e via Getty Images.