Last updated: 20th July 2023.
Cooks Professional Limited, is registered as a data controller on the UK Data Protection Register. Our registration number is ZA847701.
• What information we collect
• The legal basis for processing we use in relation to processing your personal data
• How we use your personal information and how long we keep it for
• Who we share your information with and on what basis
• How you can control our use of your personal information
• Your rights
• Who to contact if you want more information
When we collect your personal information
We collect personal information about you as soon as you access our website www.cooksprofessional.co.uk using a smartphone or computer and also when you call our customer service team. The specific information we collect depends on whether you are a customer or a website visitor. If you buy a product from our website, you become a customer of Cooks Professional. The specific information we collect is detailed below in the What personal information we collect section of this document.
What personal information we collect on our website
The personal information we collect from you when you access our website comes in two parts: the information you give us when you complete our website forms, and the information we automatically gather from the device you use to access our website.
Information you give Cooks Professional: this includes the following data items (although you can visit and use our website without giving us this information, if you do not place a transaction or an enquiry during your web visit to us):
• Your first name or initial, and surname
• Your email address
• Your telephone number
• Your postal address
• Payment details: if you order products from our website, your payment details will be processed by our payment processors Stripe, Paypal and Klarna. Cooks Professional does not store any of your payment details; we are given a transaction ID by our payment processor.
Information from your device: when you access a website using a smartphone, TV (browser enabled), tablet, laptop or desktop computer, your device will exchange information with www.cooksprofessional.co.uk to maximise the speed of the site and provide the optimum navigation for your device. Without this information, Cooks Professional cannot ensure the optimum browsing experience and ease-of-use when buying products. To do this, our website may acquire the following information:
• IP (Internet Protocol) address: your IP address indicates your location, unless you are using a VPN service
• Device: what type of device you are using (TV, smartphone, laptop, desktop)
• OS (Operation system): what operating system your device has (IOS, Android, Windows, Linux, MAC OS X)
• Browser & browser version: which web browser you are using (Internet Explorer/Edge, Opera, Chrome, Safari, Firefox)
• Domain: depending on your device and browser settings, we sometimes identify the web address of the domain you came from before landing on our website
• Clickstream data: this is a list of all the web pages that you visited, and the order you viewed them in, on each visit to www.cooksprofessional.co.uk. We also record how much time you spend on each web page, and record any actions you make on each page. We also record what items you place in the web shopping basket, even if you do not purchase them
Preferences on our website: you can change how we stay in touch with you, and what we inform you about by emailing email@example.com.
What personal information we collect by phone
Information you give Cooks Professional: if you order via the phone our call centre we collect the following information about you;
• Your first name or initial, and surname
• Your email address, if you want to access the MyOrders function to track your order online, we will need to store your email address as this is used as part of the sign-in process for this function
• Your telephone number
• Your postal address
• Payment details, if you order, your payment details will be processed by our payment processor Stripe, or via Paypal or Klarna. We do not store any of your payment details, we are given a transaction ID by our payment processor. If you attach a cheque to your order coupon, this is banked, no details of your bank account are stored by us.
Preferences by phone: you can change how we stay in touch with you, and what we inform you about via the preferences section of our website (see above). If you do not want to do this, you can change your by phoning our customer service team 0330 223 6150.
Why we collect your personal information
There are several main purposes for gathering your personal information: for marketing activities, deliveries, profiling, and for transaction processing.
Transaction processing: when you purchase a product from our website, you become a customer of Cooks Professional, so we retain personal information on you whilst you remain an active customer of ours and also for a short time when you no longer order from us. When you make an enquiry about a product of ours, we also retain the personal information you give us in your enquiry for a limited period of time. Our Data Retention policy below explains how long we keep your personal information. In all cases for transaction processing, our legal basis for processing your personal data is contract.
Deliveries: We will need to print your name and address on delivery notes and despatch labels, in order to deliver any goods you order from us. Please note that in order to resolve delivery queries once goods are on their way to you, that we may print your phone number on the despatch label to aid the courier in the event of a query about your delivery. You may receive an email from our courier with updates on your delivery including information to enable you to track your order. Our couriers destroy any personal data provided by us once your goods have been delivered.
Marketing activities: we have separated out each marketing activity that your personal data is used for below. Note that any customers or website visitors who don’t want to receive marketing communications from us can email firstname.lastname@example.org to update their preferences. Cooks Professional will never send you a marketing communication that doesn’t have a method of opting out from our marketing communications contained within it.
Profiling: we plan to build profiles from all the information that we have about you, so that we can do two things; firstly we want to surface product advertisements and cooking and kitchen hints and tips to you via social media. Secondly we want to develop a 1:1 communications programme with you, so that can send you email communications that are specific to you. We believe this will make our dialogue with you more personal and more accurate. We want to make sure the communications we send you, are of interest to you. We therefore use information about you to tailor our messages. We analyse different pieces of information such as age, transaction history, demographics, preferences and buying habits, along with the pages you may have visited on our website to make sure we send you relevant product offers. This commonly used marketing technique is known as profiling and we believe it makes our dialogue with you more personal and accurate. You can opt out of having your data used in profiling at any time by emailing email@example.com or calling 0330 2236150. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
Social media: we want to increase our engagement with you on social media. So, you may see product advertisements & cooking or kitchen related hints and tips from us on some social media platforms, including Facebook. You can opt out of targeted Facebook advertising by following the link here: https://www.facebook.com/help/568137493302217. You can opt out of targeted Instagram advertising by following the link here: https://help.instagram.com/245100253430454. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
• Product offers: from time to time Cooks Professional will send you product offers via email. These offers are based on our knowledge of the products you have ordered or enquired about and your visits to our website, if you have visited it. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest
• Newsletters: we will email customers and enquirers newsletters containing related cook, recipe and kitchen related articles for our products. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
• Competitions: Cooks Professional sometimes offer competition entry via both email, the website and coupon. Competition entry is sometimes conditional on providing us with additional demographic information about you, which in turn allows us to further customise our communications and product offers to you. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
• Surveys: We occasionally survey portions of our customer and website visitor database to find out more about your experience using Cooks Professional and to find out how we can improve our service delivery to you. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
• Site optimisation: the device-level information we automatically gather about you allows us to optimise the speed and performance of the website for you. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
• Anonymous web analytics: Cooks Professional aggregates and anonymises all your activity on our website for traffic analysis, to help measure and improve the website performance. We also use this anonymised data to monitor the effectiveness of our advertising. Your personal data is anonymised in this process, so there is no requirement under GDPR for a legal basis for processing.
• Data sharing: we sometimes share customer data with other reputable organisations mainly in the following sectors; charities, clothing, collectables, food & wine, gardening, gadgets & entertainment, health & beauty, household goods, home interiors, travel, and financial products planning for your future, for the purposes of postal marketing. You can opt out of this marketing at any time either online, via our order forms, or by contacting our customer service team: firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0330 2236150. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
How we protect and where we store your personal information
The personal information we collect about you is stored within a secure IT Data Centre. No identifiable personal information is stored or shipped to non-UK/EU locations. Your personal information is stored in databases which are encrypted at rest, providing the highest level of security. All personal information is moved to and from our website www.cooksprofessional.co.uk via an HTTPS connection, which means that the transfer of data is also encrypted. Access to your personal data held on databases managed by Cooks Professional or its’ authorised subcontractors, is granted only when there is a need to use the data, no permanent access exists.
How long we keep your personal information
Cooks Professional will only use your personal information for as long as you remain a customer, and for a short time after your last order. The maximum amount of time that Cooks Professional will retain your personal information in a data archive is seven years, except in the event of a legal dispute. This seven-year limit is based on the legal requirement to maintain details of transactions as described in the Companies Act 2006. We have listed below how long we store your personal information for, which depends on your relationship with Cooks Professional.
If you made a purchase from us: we will keep the information you gave us and details of what you bought for up to seven years from the date of the last transaction with us. After that time your personal data will be anonymised, but we will keep your purchase and marketing history.
If you enquired about a product, but did not make a purchase: we will keep the information we have on you as an enquirer for up to three years. After that time your personal data will be anonymised, but we will keep your enquiry and marketing history.
Sharing your personal information with other organisations
Subcontractors: Cooks Professional use carefully selected subcontractors to assist in the management and structure of business information for its’ own marketing purposes. The information these subcontractors process includes the personal information we gather about you and your transaction and web history with us. By ‘marketing’ we mean the specific purposes outlined in the Marketing Activities section of this document. Details on these subcontractors are as follows:
Access UK Ltd, whose registered office is The Old School, School Lane, Stratford St Mary, Colchester, Essex, CO7 6LZ for the purpose of order processing. Access UK Ltd is registered as a data controller, Z5042164.
Klarna Bank ASB UK Branch, whose registered office is Aviation House, 125 Kingsway, Holborn, London, WC2B 6NH for the purpose of payment processing. Klarna Bank ASB UK Branch is registered as a data controller, ZA839912.
Xero (UK) Limited, whose registered office is Bank House, 171 Midsummer Boulevard, Milton Keynes, MK9 1EB for the purpose of accounting. Xero (UK) Limited is registered as a data controller, Z157214X.
Kinsta Ltd whose registered office, is at International House 142 Cromwell Road
London SW7 4EF for the purposes of website order processing. Kinsta Ltd is registered as a data controller ZA290018.
Klaviyo Ltd, whose registered office is 25 Moorgate, London, EC2R 6AY, for the purposes of email and text marketing. Klaviyo Ltd is registered as a data controller ZA921565.
Feefo, whose registered office is Feefo Barn Heath Farm, Heath Road East, Petersfield, Hampshire, England, GU31 4HT, for the purposes of conducting customer satisfaction surveys on our products and overall service delivery. Feefo is registered as a data controller Z2323576.
Facebook UK Ltd: whose registered office is 10 Brock Street, London, NW1 3FG, for the purposes of providing custom audiences on the Facebook social media platform. Facebook is registered as a data controller, ZA265194.
Requesting a copy of your personal information
You can contact Cooks Professional using the information below, to request a copy of the personal information we hold on you. If you request this information, you will need to provide proof of your identity. We will return the information to you electronically in a text file. You are legally entitled to request this information under the General Data Protection Regulation, there is no charge for this service.
To request copy of your personal information, please email us at email@example.com with your request. Please be sure to include your full name, email address and postal address.
We will supply you the following information:
• Your contact details: which may include your email address, phone and mobile numbers, your previous address, your previous or second email address, your communications preferences and the date your contact details were last updated
• Your transaction history: if you have ordered from us, you will receive details of your order, including products purchased, date of purchase and the cost of the products
• Your marketing history: if we have marketed to you, we will send you details of the emails we have sent you
• Email correspondence: we will search our email server to see if your email address is in any email message headers, if we find it, we will send you the email(s)
To request a copy of your personal information via post, please write to: Data Protection Officer, Cooks Professional Limited, Dolbedwyn, Newchurch, Kington, HR5 3QQ.
How to control your personal information on the Cooks Professional website
If you do not want to receive communications from Cooks Professional, you can change your preferences by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also opt-out directly from emails and SMS messages that we may send you and you can use the opt-out section of the order form in our catalogues. Lastly, you can phone our customer service team on 0333 223 6150.
This privacy statement reflects the rights that you have under the General Data Protection Regulation, which specifically charges Cooks Professional with providing you access to your personal information, and to ensure that your data is used appropriately & securely with specific reference to the rights of you, the data subject. Those rights regarding your personal data are as follows:
The right to access a copy of your personal information that we hold
The right to object to our processing of your personal data, if doing so causes you distress
The right to prevent Cooks Professional processing your data for direct marketing purposes
The right to object to decisions being taken using automated means that includes your personal data
The right to have inaccurate personal data rectified, or destroyed
The right to have your data erased from our IT infrastructure
The right to data portability
The right to be informed about the collection and use of your data
You can find out more about your rights regarding your personal data in the UK from the Office of the Information Commissioner www.ico.org.uk.
Data Controller: under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), organisations that collect, process and store your personal information are defined as Data Controllers, which makes Cooks Professional the Data Controller for your personal data collected from our website.
Data Subject: GDPR classifies individuals as data subjects. So you, the customer or enquirer of Thompson & Morgan are a data subject under GDPR if you purchase or enquire about our products.
Data Processor: a data processor is an organisation other than the data controller, who processes your personal data on behalf of the data controller. A good example of this is PayPal, who are one of the payment processing options for any products that you buy online. The data processors who handle your personal information gathered by our website have the same duty of care in handling your personal information.