This zesty cake made with a light olive oil sponge and a chocolate and blood orange glaze is guaranteed to bring some overdue sunshine into your kitchen.
- 300g golden caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 4 blood oranges, zested and juiced
- 150ml light olive oil
- 280g self-raising flour
- 140g white chocolate, chopped
- Begin by preheating your oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / Gas Mark 4., then greast a 2.5L bundt tin with some melted butter.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl of a stand mixer along with the sugar and zest of three of the oranges, then whisk until pale and thick. Reduce the mixer speed to low, then pour in the olive oil and the juice from three of the oranges and mix until well combined.
- Sieve the flour into the mixture and whisk again until you have a smooth batter. Pour into the prepared cake tin and place on a baking tray in the centre of your oven for around 35-40 minutes. Bake until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Whilst your cake is cooling, make the glaze by placing the chocolate in a bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water. Once melted, pour in the juice from the 4th orange and stir to combine. Remove the bowl from the heat and set to one side to cool slightly, until it is thick but still pourable.
- Pour over the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. the sprinkle the remaining orange zest over the top to decorate.
Lead image: kasia2003 via Getty images.