An easy to make, guaranteed winner-dinner that all the family will love. This is equally as delicious cooked on a griddle pan, or on the barbecue.
For the chicken satay
- 1 small piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 500g chicken breast, skinless
- 165ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
For the cucumber salad
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- Begin by making the marinade. Add the grated ginger to a bowl, followed by the juice and zest of the lime. Mix these with the honey, soy sauce, curry powder and peanut butter, adding a splash of water if it seems a bit too thick. Add two-thirds of this into a small pan.
- Cut the chicken breast into strips, then mix with the marinade you have left in the bowl and stir well. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge until required. This can be done up to 3 hours beforehand.
- While the chicken is marinating, pour the coconut milk into the pan with the marinade in and stir together. Heat over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully thread the chicken breast pieces onto skewers, into ‘S’ shapes.
- Heat your grill to high, and brush a baking tray with olive oil. Line the skewers on the tray, and grill for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until lightly charred.
- To make the salad, peel the cucumber into a bowl with a speed-peeler until you reach the seeds. Repeat with the other side of the cucumber.
- Mix the vinegar with the sugar until the sugar has dissolved, then pour over the cucumber. Serve alongside your chicken skewers, the cooked sauce and some rice.
Lead image: OksanaKiian via Getty images.