These vegetarian burgers not only contain 2 of your 5 a day, but also pack a real summer flavour.
- 400g canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped
- 1 egg
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 red onion – 1/2 chopped, 1/2 sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 buns
- Tomato and cucumber slices to serve
- Blitz the chickpeas, lemon zest, lemon juice, cumin, half the coriander and the egg in a food processor with some seasoning. Turn out into a bowl and mix with two thirds of the breadcrumbs and the diced onions.
- Tip the mixture out onto a surface, then divide into four equal parts. Shape these into burgers, then coat with the remaining breadcrumbs and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers for around 4 minutes on each side, ensuring that they don’t burn.
- Serve in the buns with the tomato and cucumber slices, then top with the remaining coriander and your choice of sauce.
Lead image: SherSor via Getty images.