The classic flavour combination of raspberry and dark chocolate makes these delicious little cupcakes the perfect sweet treat for your Valentine this February 14th.
For the cupcakes
- 140g flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 30g dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 115ml buttermilk
- 115ml vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 115ml boiling water
For the icing
- 115g butter
- 115g vegetable shortening
- 560g icing sugar
- 4 tbsp raspberry puree
- Preheat your oven to 150°C / 130°C Fan / Gas Mark 2, and line a muffin tin with paper cake cases.
- Tip all of the dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer and gently whisk together. Add in the egg, buttermilk and vegetable oil and mix to combine.
- Add the vanilla extract to the boiling water, then tip into the cake batter and give it a final mix.
- Divide the cake mix between the cake cases and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until a clean skewer comes out.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- To make the icing, add the butter and shortening to your stand mixer bowl and beat until smooth. Slowly and gradually add in half of the icing sugar and continue beating until you have a smooth consistency.
- Pour in the raspberry puree and beat with the remaining icing sugar.
- Ice the cupcakes and decorate as you best see fit.
Lead image: wmaster890 via Getty images.